Friday, May 20, 2011

Movement never lies.


I am absolutely breath taken by this man's movement.  I first learned of him a couple years ago watching The Legend of Leigh Bowery but just recently I found myself picking my brain trying to remember the young fellow who was choreographing the dances while Leigh designed their costumes.  


 
It was Michael Clark. In 1984 I believe he began to collaborate with Leigh to create something truly unique.


I started dance classes at age 4 and continued until I was 13 years old because I choose to focus on school and soccer.  That was a big regret for me looking back now.  But I never stopped dancing, ever.  Often I'd find my self doing an arabesque upon entering a room in my home like some prima ballerina I wish I was.


Michael sparked my imagination so I did a little research on him and I thought, this guy gets it.  Not just dance but everything; like understanding people and how this twisted world works.  Not to mention his submerged passion for honest underground music, which he expresses through dance with incredible grace. 


 
This is my favorite dance of all though choreographed to The Fall's "Copped it"



How gorgeous are these shoes?  This was a costume created by Leigh Bowery for a Michael Clark production.  Platform shoes like this weren't being mass produced so they had to construct them by hand.


Here are the classic Leigh Bowery polka-dots and blonde wig combination we all know and love.  Always duplicated never replicated.






I highly recommend watching Hail the new Puritan it is a nice little documentary that follows Michael and his dancers as they rehearse and perform their routines.  It must have been an incredible experience dancing in this group.  I wish I could hop in a time machine and go back to be a part of this I would've been right behind him like hey I need some more polka dots please *high kick* hahaha



He still continues with his own dance company The Michael Clark Company that is about to perform at the Tate Modern in June.  I would adore seeing a dance created by him in person.  Too bad I don't live in London.


I love at the end where he falls along the wall then into a perfectly discombobulated pile. 


"Nothing so clearly and inevitably reveals the inner man than movement and gesture. It is quite possible, if one chooses, to conceal and dissimulate behind words or paintings or statues or other forms of human expression, but the moment you move you stand revealed, for good or ill, for what you are.



  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this page...I just watched The Legend of Leigh Bowery (which I thought was brilliant) and loved was Clark was doing , researched and found your page!
    Devon
    Los Angeles, CA

    ReplyDelete