Monday, May 23, 2011

Reflections of the way life used to be...

A house just sold 5 houses down the road and this Motorola record player cabinet was on the curb with an empty Styrofoam coffee cup tossed inside.  All it took was one look and I fell in love.  I ran back to the house asking Danny to help me carry it assuring him it was not heavy that is was "hollow and light."  In fact, it was the exact opposite of that.  I have never carried something this heavy in my life.  Oh, and we were going up a hill.  I almost died, twice.  We hauled it into the sun porch and plugged it in...nothing.  Dan said, "Let's haul this back to the curb."  My heart sank, "make it work" I pleaded.  I was so disappointed then he turned a few knobs and the record started spinning!  Glass tube lights lit up it was a thing of beauty. I just love the crackling sound of old speakers coming to life. 


The wood is in incredible condition there are virtually no scratches. I think I am going to put this in the dining room with the hutch and set up a little Mad Men style bar on top with silver trays and glass decanters. It has 4 cabinets for records or other various things such as liquors for the bar. Behind the middle doors is a big old speaker with a textured tweed cover.

I found this very last minute at the Salvation Army on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse on the 50% annual sale. I almost didn't pounce on this one. It was marked for $10 I got it for $5. I had to have it. The aluminum legs and despite the worn appearance this is probably the most comfortable swivel chair I have ever had the pleasure of taking a seat in.


The entire chair is made of solid aluminum. You can even recline in it and the back pillow moves as well right along with your body. It is ridiculously heavy!



I knew this had to be pre-WWII since most metals were melted down and used towards the war efforts.  Indeed it was, I searched The General Fireproofing Company and found the original ad for the chair manufactured in 1932.  During my research I found a genuine copy from a magazine published in the 1930's with the ad on it.  It was only $1.00 so I had to purchase it immediately. Wherever I set up my little office it's hanging above my desk and chair.  


Good Form Aluminum chairs! A cute little advertisement from 1932. Apparently this particular model was their most popular office chair.


 Here is one somebody else has on display in their home. It looks like it is in the same condition as mine. A little bit of rust underneath, honestly I think it just ads to the character knowing it is 80 years old and doesn't even squeak.


 
Another bold example of this chair inside the home instead of the office with matching tank desk. It is a great feeling finding out the history behind all these artifact I find, give you a first hand look at the past. People come and go but their possessions remain to be re-discovered and cherished again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment